Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Michael Crabtree still not convinced Alex Smith will be the team’s starter


If there a rift between Alex Smith and Michael Crabtree, the two men are doing a poor job hiding it.
Smith pointedly said last week he didn’t know why Crabtree decided to work alone in the Bay Area rather than join Smith for throwing sessions. When Crabtree did show for the Smith-run “minicamp” on Monday, he didn’t sound convinced Smith was going to be the team’s starting quarterback again.
Crabtree was asked by Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee if it was beneficial to be catching passes from the team’s quarterback again.
“Who’s the quarterback?” Crabtree responded.
When told it was Smith, Crabtree said “He’s the quarterback? I’m just asking.”
Crabtree said he would support whoever was the quarterback, but it was an odd exchange considering Smith brought the team together for the sessions, going as far as to help teach the offense to teammates in a classroom session.
At a time when Smith is trying to take newfound steps towards leadership, Crabtree isn’t sure who will lead the 49ers.
“I wish I could tell you that.” Crabtree said. “I know that you’re all scratching at it. I wish I could tell you who is going to be the quarterback. I don’t know. I don’t know. Whoever the quarterback is, I’m 100 percent down with it and I’m ready to go. That’s it.”
Perhaps the quotes above are why Smith initially pushed to have San Francisco’s sessions closed to the media.

source:  PFT.com
author:  Gregg Rosenthal

No comments: