Monday, June 24, 2013

Kirk Cousins: I’ll be ready, but RG3 will start Week One


Redskins backup quarterback Kirk Cousins has spent the offseason working with the first-string offense while Robert Griffin III recovers from knee surgery. But Cousins thinks the chances are slim to none that he’ll be with the first-string offense when the season starts.
Cousins said Griffin has made significant progress in his recovery, and Cousins can’t imagine that Griffin won’t be ready to play when the Redskins open the season against the Eagles on September 9.
“Robert looked awesome, and I’m not just saying that,” he said on NFL AM. “He is a bit of a freak in terms of his athleticism, he has healed very quickly, he couldn’t practice with us, but he was on a separate field doing drills all spring during OTAs and minicamp. He looked really good. I think he’ll be on the field Week One. But my mindset is to be ready no matter what, and I’m getting ready all summer so I’ll be ready if called upon.”
Cousins played well when given the opportunity as a rookie, and he’s ready to do it again this year. But he sounds like he knows that if he wants to be a long-term starter, it will be elsewhere.
“I’m working hard for whenever the opportunity comes, and if I don’t get any opportunities with the Redskins, then so be it,” he said. “Some day it could lead to the potential opportunity to start for someone.”
The best-case scenario for the Redskins is that Cousins doesn’t get any opportunities in Washington.

Source: PFT.com
Author: Michael David Smith
AP Photo: Tom Gannam from WTOP.com


No comments: