Friday, June 7, 2013

Chad Johnson “at peace,” but wants another chance


As it turns out, Terrell Owens isn’t the only former NFL wide receiver having a hard time coming to grips with the reality that teams don’t want him.
Former Bengals standout Chad Johnson said on ESPN’s “First Take” that he was hoping to get back into the league at some point, even though he hasn’t found a home since his lackluster 2011 in New England.
Johnson’s next date is a court date, as he has a probation hearing next week connected to last year’s assault charges regarding his former wife.
Johnson called a missed appointment with a probation officer a “miscommunication,” and said he will accept whatever consequences are coming.
“I’m going to be OK,” Johnson said. “I’m OK now, but I put myself in this situation and I have to deal with everything. With life, I’m at peace with everything.
“I would love to finish my career off the right way. If it happens, I’m not sure. But I would like to.”
The 35-year-old wideout hasn’t been productive in some time, and many teams won’t view him as being worth the sideshow.
But he thinks he deserves another chance.
“I’m in a position where I have to prove myself again that I can still play,” Johnson explained. “Can I still do it? I’m at the bottom again, like having to prove myself when I first came in [to the NFL] and I was hungry. I got complacent at some point in my career. I thought I had it right. I thought I had made it and figured it all out. I lost the game that I loved and played for years.”
It’s hard to not have a measure of sympathy for Owens and Johnson as their chances for comebacks fade, but ultimately, they’re responsible for their own unemployment.

Source: PFT.com
Author: Darin Gantt
AP Photo, J Pat Carter


No comments: