Sunday, February 12, 2012

Reggie Wayne hasn’t heard from Colts, open to playing for Patriots


After 11 seasons with the Colts, Reggie Wayne is set to become an unrestricted free agent next month. And he says that if the Colts want to keep him, he hasn’t heard anything about it.

“All I know is the Colts,” Wayne told Josina Anderson of ESPN. “That is where I want to be. I have been there 11 years and I would prefer to end my career a Colt. However, in due time those feelings could subside. I know one thing, my phone works. I do have service and every last bar on it and their number has not come across it yet. I haven’t heard anything from them yet, so maybe I am not as important on the chain of command as I should be.”

With the Colts in rebuilding mode, it’s easy to see why they’d want to move on from the 33-year-old Wayne, who was still their No. 1 receiver last season but suffered from the absence of Peyton Manning and had his lowest output in catches, yards and touchdowns since 2003.

If Wayne does move on, one potential landing spot is New England, where former Patriot Willie McGinest told the Boston Herald that he thinks Wayne is a natural fit. McGinest said he asked Wayne if he’d like to play in New England, and Wayne answered, “Who wouldn’t want to play there?“

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been a longtime admirer of Wayne’s, saying during the 2009 season that he thought Wayne was the best receiver he had coached against.

“I can’t say enough about Reggie Wayne,” Belichick said. “That guy is the best receiver we cover every year and it seems like he just keeps getting better.”

Sounds like a player Belichick would like to coach.

source:  PFT.com
author:  Michael David Smith
photo:   Phil Sears/US PRESSWIRE

No comments: