Monday, February 20, 2012

Giants DE Osi Umenyiora Not Sure Of Future With Team


New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora is unsure if Super Bowl XLVI was his final game with the team.

"We’re just going to have to wait and see," Umenyiora said on ESPN's "Mike & Mike" radio program on Monday, via a transcription provided by Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk.com. "I can see it going either way. I can see where they would keep me, I can see where they would trade me, because it makes sense both ways.

"So hopefully things will work out in my interest. I know the team is going to do what’s best for them. They’ve always made the right decisions for that organization. Whether that’s keeping me or trading me, I’d love to stay, but at the end of the day I understand it’s a business and hopefully things will work out."

Umenyiora has not been happy with his contract and briefly held out of training camp last year. The 30-year-old defensive end missed seven games in 2011, but still produced nine quarterback sack and added 3.5 more sacks in four playoff games. The veteran is due $3.975 million in base salary and $750,000 in roster and reporting bonuses, all of which could be cleared from the Giants' salary cap if he were released or traded this off-season.

source:  Mac's Football Blog
author:  Brian McIntyre 

No comments: