Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Brandon Jacobs Expects To Be Back With Giants

Running back Brandon Jacobs tells Jim Miller and Rich Gannon on SiriusXM NFL Radio that he "fully expects" to be back with the New York Giants in 2012.

“Well, I have spoken to my agent and I do expect to be fully back with the New York Giants next season," Jacobs said according to Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger. "These guys in the front office, they’ve been doing this for years. They know what they gotta do. I want to be back. But they actually know what has to be done if they want me back."

Though he's behind Ahmad Bradshaw on the depth chart, Jacobs had nearly the same number of carries (171-to-152), rushing yards (659-to-571), yards per carry (3.9 to 3.8) and his seven touchdowns were two less than Bradshaw's nine during the 2011 season, though Bradshaw did miss four games with a foot injury. Jacobs turns 30 in July and is scheduled to earn $5 million in 2012, including a $4.4 million base salary and a $500,000 roster bonus that comes due on the fifth day of the 2012 league year (March 17).

The Giants are currently over the salary cap and releasing Jacobs would clear $5 million of space .

"If they don’t want me back then that’s another story in itself, then nothing has to be done. But I got a feeling that they do," Jacobs added. So, you know, things get worked out. I definitely plan on being Big Blue for the 2012 season."

source:  Mac's Football Blog
author:  Brian McIntyre

No comments: