Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Rambling Gambler Guest Column Pick Six Recap

Last week’s guest column picks were a real crap-shoot as I strayed from my usual rules of betting analysis (like take the winner and lay the points "General Rule" and tried to take the persona of the one and only Rambling Gambler, Erik Laurinovics.  All I can say is Erik, PLEASE come back from the honeymoon (which has no business being scheduled during the season) as I have had my fill of gambling (against the spread no less) and will quit while I'm 'ahead' so to speak--at 0.500.  Here's the recap:

Colts +7 versus the Bengals

Bengals cleared the spread with a whacky “fumbling, bumbling, rumbling” touchdown by Defensive Lineman Carlos Dunlap (in the words of Chris Berman).   Well that’s how the ball bounces sometimes.  Not such a bad pick, but Vegas would have cleaned out my wages on that one.

Panthers  +4 versus the Falcons

Well I was dead wrong on this one, thinking that Carolina would put up a good dogfight, but apparently their defense is still coming around.  Perhaps the falling ‘Skins will put up a nice green quarterback as good fodder for this defense to further its development this week.    Either way Cam Newton is pretty hard to corral.

49ers +4 versus the Lions

Tight game in which the points would have made the difference either way, had the Lions eeked out a victory.  Needed that one to keep my head barely above water this week.

Jaguars +12 over PITTSBURGH

The FootballERA Formula result for this game indicates a good focused week of practice for the lowly Jaguars who were determined to fight hard and not be blown out.  Good for them and all the people who  bet the line would be a bit closer than a 12 point spread.  Moral victories count in Vegas!

Green Bay/St. Louis OVER 47.5

The FootballERA Formula result showed that the lowly Rams really gave their best shot despite only putting up 3 points.  This one just could have been ugly in the second half had the Rams given up on a season already pretty much in the tank.  The under is never a good play with Aaron Rodgers in the game—this one goes to the Sports Books.

Buffalo/New York Giants OVER 50

Nailed it!!...HaHa….27-24 it is.  The Giants actually dominated the line of scrimmage.  But the big play Bills hit some big ones to make it an entertaining game after all---just clearing the over!

(This was my original text from my Pick Six last week:
“Despite the fact that 50 is a really high total, this one could be a real shootout with both offenses clearly showing the ability to score so far in this young season.  With the defenses able to turn a turnover or two into a quick six points as well, this game could get out of hand and end up with both teams scoring in the twenties.  27-24 should do the trick—just don’t ask me to pick the winner.”)
 
Might as well gloat when you get one right.  Time to pull my chips off the table and quit while I’m “ahead.”



COME Back Soon Rambling Gambler!  I'm hanging up my metaphoric gambling cleats for now, and holding on to my wages as I go back to some serious number crunching for Week 7.

No comments: