Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Norv Turner, A.J. Smith staying put in San Diego


The San Diego Chargers have no intentions of firing coach Norv Turner or general manager A.J. Smith despite the team failing to make the playoffs.
“I’ve learned the hard way,” team president Dean Spanos told the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Your GM and coach have to be two individuals who work together. It’s very difficult for some teams; I’ve been through it. I like the working relationship at this level.
“We’re as disappointed as anyone. But I look to 1996 to 2003, when we couldn’t even get (beyond) 8-8. We’ve turned it around, to where we’re a good team and a good organization. There’s a lot of continuity, but we’re still short. The easiest thing in the world is to start over. Who the hell do I go hire? Blow the whole thing up? We’re a pretty good team but we have to make the right moves."
Spanos was referencing the dysfunctional relationship between Smith and former coach Marty Schottenheimer.
He chose Smith.
"We’ve fallen," Spanos said. "It could have been our draft picks or our free-agent moves. But we have a good core, and I don’t care what anybody says. I’m not afraid to make changes. If I thought it was warranted, I would do it. We have a good foundation here.”
Smith is notorious for feuding with agents, but Spanos likes his track record overall.
“I like A.J., even though he’s a bit goofy,” Spanos says. “I trust him. He’ll tell you he’s made mistakes. Who hasn’t? But he takes chances. Sometimes you lose the bet, but if you’re going to win a world championship, you’ve got to take chances. I learned that from my father in our business. A.J.’s committed 100 percent to this organization.
“Norv took over a good team and I think he’s done a good job under some trying circumstances. I hate to make excuses. These players respect Norv Turner. I think they have great admiration for him. If the players don’t have confidence in their coach, you’re not going to be successful.”

source:  NationalFootballPost
author:  Aaron Wilson

No comments: