Thursday, November 18, 2010

Haynesworth: 'All of it ain't about the player'

A dominant performance by Albert Haynesworth on Monday night would not have prevented the Washington Redskins from being throttled by the Philadelphia Eagles.
It might have prevented one of Michael Vick’s six touchdowns, though, specifically the pass to Jason Avant in the back of the end zone after he had four-plus seconds to throw the ball. But since Haynesworth arrived in Washington last year, he hasn’t done much other than cause trouble, spare for a strong effort at Chicago last week.
On the play in question, Haynesworth fell to the ground. And stayed there. He didn’t move. Didn’t attempt to get up. He played like he’d been shot in a bank robbery and he didn’t want the masked men to come and put another round in him. Now, Haynesworth has an explanation for the turn of events.
“Well, I got taken out by 'friendly fire,'" he said. "It was (defensive lineman) Vonnie Holliday. He like ran into my leg,” Haynesworth told Jason Reid of the Washington Post. “And then, I had like a horse, a charley horse, in my thigh. I knocked him back, and then I thought I heard the whistle, so I kind of like stayed there for a second and gathered myself.

"And then I look up and like, 'He's still got the ball.' And then I looked and he throws the ball for a touchdown. It was being taken out by my own teammate and then also thinking that whistle had already blown."
That’s not much in the way of a $100 million explanation, but you’ve come to expect that from him in his time with the Redskins. Now, Hayensworth prepares to go see his former team, the one he bolted in free agency as the Redskins are traveling to play the Tennessee Titans on Sunday.
“Do they wish they still had me? Yeah," Haynesworth said. "(Sometimes) I wish I was still back there, because I feel like I could still be dominant. I think people still think that I'm not playing as good as I can or whatever.
"But all of it ain't about the player. Sometimes it's the scheme a little bit. But here, you know, we're getting back to it. Like, they're letting me play. So you're seeing a lot more production out of me than you did last year and earlier this year."
So there you have it. It ain’t all on Albert. He’s not the only one to blame for him not being dominant any longer.

source: The National Football Post
author:  Brad Biggs

No comments: