Sunday, May 26, 2013

John Fox: I had Peyton kneel down because bad things can happen


More than four months later, Denver coach John Fox is still being questioned about why he had Peyton Manning kneel down and run out the clock at the end of the fourth quarter of a playoff game the Broncos would ultimately lose to the Ravens.
And Fox is still standing by his decision to settle for overtime, rather than let Manning try to drive the Broncos into position for a game-winning field goal.
“Too many bad things could happen. Remember, we had a pick-six earlier in the game,” Fox told the Denver Post. “I’d rather take my chances in overtime.”
Of course, bad things can happen in overtime, too. Bad things like, you know, losing the game, which is what the Broncos did.
But Fox says he can’t be swayed. He has talked it over with everyone all offseason, and he remains convinced that he did the strategically correct thing, even if it didn’t work out in this particular instance.
“I’ve debated it with my staff, my wife, myself. I would do the same thing 10 times out of 10,” Fox said.
I would disagree with Fox 10 times out of 10, but Fox doesn’t care what I or anyone else thinks. If the Broncos find themselves in the same situation this season, Fox will once again order Manning to take a knee, run out the clock and get ready for overtime.

Source: PFT.com
Author: Michael David Smith
Photo: Jack Dempsey AP


No comments: