Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sanchez on Jets: “My heart and soul is into this thing”



The Jets aren’t necessarily doing anything to show unconditional love to Mark Sanchez.
But Sanchez said Monday he was committed to making things right.
While he’s been left to twist in the wind and given the opportunity to “compete” for the job that was previously his, he’s taken steps including working with former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia to come to camp ready.
“The only thing that changed was the mental side, as far as the emotional side, my heart and soul is into this thing,” Sanchez said, via Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger. “… That’s where my head’s at. I’m fired up about this year and I hope it’s a good one.”
Of course, it’s not just competition from David Garrard or Greg McElroy, or whomever they might draft next week. Sanchez’s name was brought up in trade discussions between the Jets and the Bucs regarding Darrelle Revis — not that the Bucs want him, but just that the Jets might like to dump his salary.
He referred to the Revis talks as “upstairs decisions,” but that’s where his fate is being decided also.
But he’s trying to keep it about football and the competition.
“I completely understand that and I think it’ll bring out the best in everyone on our team,” Sanchez said. “I totally respect that, as far as I’m concerned, I’m preparing to play well for this team and do the best I can. I’m preparing for my role and am doing everything in my control to be the best quarterback on the roster.”
At the moment, that’s not the highest bar to clear, but even that might be beyond his reach.

Source: PFT.com
Author: Darin Gantt



No comments: