Monday, April 23, 2012

Brian Dawkins Announces Retirement



Free agent safety Brian Dawkins announced over Twitter that he is retiring from the National Football League.


"The Lord has blessed me to play in the NFL for 16 years. I would like to thank the Eagles & the Broncos 4 believing In me. I would like 2 thank all my teammates & Coaches that I have been blessed 2 go to battle with. Along with u, the fans 4 helping make my career 1 that i have enjoyed tremendously. In other words. I am announcing my retirement from the NFL.

A second round pick out of Clemson by the Philadelphia Eagles in 1996, Dawkins spent 13 seasons in Philadelphia, where he was a six-time Pro Bowler, a member of the team's 75th Anniversary club and ranks second on the franchise's all-time regular season games played list with 183, six behind kicker David Akers. Dawkins is tied for first place on the Eagles' all-time interceptions list (34) and he recorded 21 sacks while with the Eagles, joining the NFL's exclusive 20 sack/20 interception club in 2008.
Dawkins signed with the Denver Broncos in 2009, recording 243 tackles, five sacks and three interceptions in 41 games. Dawkins went to three more Pro Bowls while with the Broncos, giving him nine for what should be a Hall of Fame career.
The 38-year-old had been an unrestricted free agent this off-season. According to Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Dawkins has a standing offer to retire with the Eagles.

source:  Mac's Football Blog
author:  Brian McIntyre
photo Brian Spurlock, US Presswire via USAToday.com


No comments: