Wednesday, July 27, 2011

John Beck was unrecognized and turned away at Redskins Park

Amusing story from earlier this week that is still getting some chuckles despite being buried a bit by all the recent news coming off the news wires:



Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan is adamant that relatively unknown John Beck(notes) can be his team's starting quarterback this season. The rest of Washington, D.C., has been a little slower to embrace him.

Beck showed up to Redskins Park on Monday to try to meet with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, but he wasn't allowed to enter the building. The security guy at the gate had no idea he was the Redskins quarterback. From Mike Jones at the Washington Post:

He was turned away at the security gate by a guard, who didn't even know who he was.

Beck was told that players can't report until Tuesday morning, and left slightly disappointed, but not offended.

"I'm OK with that," Beck said of not being recognized when reached this afternoon. "I haven't done anything yet."


If I was in the security guy's shoes that day, I believe I'd have done the same thing. I'm not sure I'd recognize John Beck if he walked into my kitchen right now and started making me waffles.

Beck was drafted in the second round of the 2007 draft by the Dolphins. In two years with the Fish, he started just four games (with a spotless 0-4 record) and was unable to beat out Chad Pennington(notes), Chad Henne(notes) or the great Cleo Lemon(notes) for playing time. He spent 2009 wearing a Ravens uniform, but never got on the field.

In 47 days, he could be starting for the Redskins.

Gracias, Larry Brown Sports.


source: Yahoo Sports
author:  Mike Jones of the Washington Post via Yahoo

No comments: