Wednesday, May 18, 2011

McNabb declines to say whether he refused to wear a wristband


Redskins (for now) quarterback Donovan McNabb absorbed a one-two punch last week, the first from Bernard Hopkins and the second via an intriguing report that McNabb refused to wear a wristband containing the team’s offensive plays.  His agent responded to the latest Hopkins howitzer; to date, neither McNabb nor his agent acknowledged the wristband story.

On Wednesday, McNabb addressed the wristband issue, refusing to say whether he refused to wear a wristband, according to Mike Jones of the Washington Post.  Instead, McNabb called the story “amazing,” and he expressed confusion as to why rumors and criticism continue to follow him.

“For someone who’s so quiet and really just tries to be the best at what I do, and to be a part of the firestorm every offseason, it’s amazing,” McNabb said.  “But I never let that affect what I’m doing.  I write goals for myself every season and offseason, and I look to achieve those goals, and they really make you stronger mentally and physically.  Things are going to be out there negative, out there about you.  Everyone’s going to play the hoopla and what-if.  But I can only control what I can control.  All I can do is make sure I’m ready when the time comes.”

As to whether that effort to make sure he’s ready included a refusal to wear a wristband that could have made him even more ready, we’re left to infer that, by saying nothing, McNabb said it all.

source:  PFT.com
author:  Mike Florio

No comments: