Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Broncos bid farewell to Akin Ayodele


The Broncos signed veteran linebacker Akin Ayodele in April.  And he started both of the team's preseason games.

But now he's no longer on the team.

Per a league source, the Broncos have released Ayodele, an eight-year pro who previously played for the Jaguars, Cowboys, and Dolphins.  He remains listed as a first-teamer on the Broncos' official depth chart.  Presumably, Joe May or Wesley Woodyard will be promoted to the starting spot on the inside, next to D.J. Williams.

UPDATE:  Via a stream of tweets, Josina Anderson of FOX 31 in Denver shares Ayodele's response to the news.  "They released me this morning," Ayodele said.  "They coaches couldn't really give me an explanation.  To tell you the truth I was really caught off guard.  They said I did everything right, but that they just wanted to go a different route.  That is the last thing I would expect because I started the last two preseason games.  This is the first time this has happened to me like this, but I have to stay encouraged the same way I have encouraged other guys over the years.  They told me they let go of me early out of respect so other teams can have more time to get at me.  Right now I'm truly just as shocked as you are."

source: PFT
author: Mike Florio

No comments: